The Global Flood Monitoring (GFM) product of the Copernicus Emergency Management Service provides a continuous monitoring of flood events worldwide, by processing and analysing in near real-time all incoming Sentinel-1 Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) satellite imagery. The Global Flood Monitoring (GFM) product can be accessed via the CEMS EFAS map viewer.
The GFM - Annual Product and Service Quality Assessment Report 2022, which was recently published as a JRC Technical Report, presents the results of the quarterly monitoring and reporting of the following key aspects of the GFM product performance:
- The thematic accuracy of the GFM Observed Flood Extent and Reference Water Mask, based on selected Use Cases of worldwide flood events.
- The thematic accuracy of the GFM processed archive of worldwide observed floods and water bodies, for the years 2015-2021.
- The product timeliness with which the GFM output layers are delivered.
- The availability to users of all service components of the GFM product, and those aspects related to user uptake and usability of the service.
- The general plausibility of the GFM Exclusion Mask, which denotes areas where SAR-based flood and water mapping is not technically feasible.
The GFM - Annual Product and Service Quality Assessment Report 2022 (as well as the previously published GFM - Pre-operational Product and Service Quality Assessment Report) can be downloaded from the following link: